Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Big Pull

Or let the transformation begin! (Trying some cute Rocky and Bullwinkle second title)

I thought it was time to begin to knock off some 2008 resolutions...

Lard took up the challenge from an email I sent out from Burn The Fat about the world's first-ever Real Time Physique transformation challenge. He set up a blog called the Transformation Challenge. While not formally entering the contest, Lard set the challenge for the rest of us. The Challenge is simple, Transform your flabby body in 90 days. However in this challenge, the accountability is weekly pictures, measurements, and weight and encouragement and ridicule from your friends. For me, it isn't a pretty picture. But I'm going to give it a go.

Scoundrel and Galan have been on me about setting my one rep maxes (1RM) on the big three lifts - Squats, Bench Press and Dead Lift. In fact I was to do this before the end of 2008. Well I finally got around to it and here are the results:

5 minute bike warm-up, stretching

I started with the squat - no machine, straight bar.
I warmed up with 5 body weight, then 5 with the bar
I will assume the bar is 45lbs. It's the typical Olympic bar.
2 plates (45) + bar = 135
I added another 50lbs = 185
I then added 30, then 20 for 235
I then added another 30 for 265. Heavy and It was here I stopped.
My form was not the best, I could feel it in my back and I was alone.

Next was the bench
Warned up with the bar (5) , then another 50lbs (5).
I then added another 40 (swapped out 25lbs plates for 45lbs) 135
So 135
I then added 30, then 20, another 20. So 205 is my final. I might have been able to nickel and dime some more with a spotter. But this was heavy for me.

Now for the big pull.

I warmed up with 135 (5), then added another 90, then 50, and another 40. I was at 315lbs. I felt I could go another 50lbs, my grip was fine, but my back was feeling tired and there was not reason to push it.

Now I need a program to follow this up with. I also need to get my cardio base.
Scoundrel hooked me up with a program from stronglifts.

I can't tell you what a relief it is to get this 250 lbs off of my backside ;).
This is for when you ramble on and on and on.
Just delete if not needed. (along with the span class)

2 comments:

Scoundrel said...

Well done.

'bout time.

Unknown said...

I agree, great job Ski.