Wednesday, May 7, 2008

2 weeks out

Well I'm two weeks out now and I think I'm doing pretty good. I can walk mostly normal. In the morning, things are a little stiffer all around, but the swelling from the previous day is gone and its not long before I'm loose.

Workouts and PT are going well. I'll try to be good about posting, but it feels like I'm posting the same workout over and over. I really don't plan to change much either until I think my right leg is nearly as strong as my left. Everything else can wait and take a back seat right now, and I don't have the time to extend my workouts beyond an hour, nor do I really want to. Its spring outside, I don't want to be locked up in a gym.

I really gave myself a good test this weekend. Saturday I did my normal routine at Snap:

1 Legged Raises @ 12 lbs. * 20
1 Legged Raises @ 17 lbs. * 20
1 Legged Hamstring Curls @ 45 lbs. * 20
1 Legged Sitting Squats @ 80 lbs. * 20
Full Squats @ 90 lbs. of weight plus bar on the Smith Machine * 20
Calf Raises @ 70 lbs. * 20
30 Minutes on the bike at Level 10, 8 miles, 300 calories (round figures)

After the workout I fertilized the yard with the push spreader. Even did the hills from the front of the house to the back without any real difficulty. I did have to watch my step a little more carefully though.

Sunday I really worked myself. I was in the garage almost all day cleaning, sweeping, installing another shelf for more totes, up and down the ladder a bunch of times. It felt great. I was soo tempted to take the cover off the bike, but I resisted. I actually took the advice of my PT Sunday and iced my knee Sunday night. It did swell quite of bit from all the activity, but there was never any pain and the swelling was gone the next morning.

I've gained back some of my muscle in the right leg, I think I have more than ever in the left, and put back most of the weight I lost after the injury. The home scale in the birthday suit reads 177 lbs (182 at Snap with my gear). 19% body fat (Don't know how accurate, but consistent with this scale before/after surgery). I am usually about 17% body fat on this scale. My BMI ranges between 20-22 which is the low normal range. The body fat reading is in the high normal to low obese range on my scale.

I do have more bodyfat than before I broke my leg, I can see/feel that. With the weight loss, I didn't really care as much what I ate, probably more comfort foods. Now that I'm getting close to my target weight of 185 lbs again, I'll start watching my diet closer again. At some point, I'm going to want to get back into lifting with my upper body again and doing situps, etc. I enjoy that more than legs, but I'm resisting those urges for now, because I really want to stay focused on my legs. I know once I start, my legs won't get the same attention. I also know the closer to full strength my leg gets, the less attention I will think it needs, so I'm staying focused for now. There is still a lot of healing going on, evidensed by the swelling and fluid that continues to build each day.

I might get one more post in this week, we'll see.

0 comments: