Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Racquetball Wednesdays

Woke up, got outta bed… Forgot to set the alarm… While it was Pete and Clark that restarted my racquetball passion 7+ years ago, it was the accidental discovery of the morning racquetball players that has kept me playing each Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 6AM. Because I overslept today, I didn’t get my pre-racquetball exercise and warm-ups in. (Stretching, jump rope, specific drills). Jumped right in and continued to skip shots. I Finished with 90 seconds of jump rope. 90 seconds of jump rope may not sound like much, but boy do my legs get pumped! I’m also breathing like a race horse.

 On Wednesday’s we have the regulars, plus the once a weekers. Today we had regulars, Al, (Nancy out with kayak injuries), Arlan the Quick, Steve the Greyhound, and Steve the Whippet. Additionally, we had Big Dick, Little Dick and Rex. I played about 90 minutes. Some singles, some doubles. Worked up a good sweat. 

The morning crowd is thinning out some now. We’ve lost Marvelous Mark to rheumatoid arthritis, Dale aged out and Kern’s shoulder can’t take any more repairs. Roger’s legs and age have caught up to him. Super Dave moved to the greener pastures of Milwaukee, and Ray never returned after the meltdown. However we did get a new slogan out of it, “don’t go all Ray now.” Ralph’s hip got the best of him. Jimmy the Mouse stopped after being hit one too many times (with the ball and racquet!) Jeff switched to LA Fitness. Recently, we lost Terrific Tom for 8 months with a torn rotator cuff and repair. Little Mike is just returning from knee replacement, retirement and moving up north. Steve the Whippet’s missing ACL is becoming a problem.

0 comments: