Monday, August 4, 2014

The Hit List



Over the last two years, I have played in a number of tournaments.  Since the racquetball community is small, you play against the same people at these tournaments.  For this season, I have developed a hit list.  These are the people I believe I should be able to beat.   

The Hit List (MN Rank, age)

Matt (102, 28) Doesn’t have the body of a racquetball player and wears those annoying headphones  I won the first game, and then he served 7aces in a row in the second. Ouch!
Al “the Rabbit” (72, 40s) – Very hard hitter, motor always on high.  I need to use strategy against him.  He can run down every shot.  His weak spot, mid to high to his backhand.  Of course I learned that after.
Jon (75, 40s) – This quote sums up playing Jon. “So what now, Jack Sparrow? Are we to be two immortals locked in an epic battle until Judgment Day and trumpets sound?” Every match Jon plays goes to the tie-breaker (Like 11-10).  I refereed his 2013 US Open match.  2 hours! 14-15, 15-14, 11-10.  I Lost to him in a tie-breaker in a summer tournament. 
Ron (151, 47) – Claims the secret to his game is Dance, Dance Revolution.  We are at the Strandemo camp together. Beatable, but I gotta learn not to skip all my backhand shots.   
Pat (116, 40s) – I lost to Pat in 2013 State Singles final after a grueling day of matches.  Big hitter, but not much of a kill shot, weak backhand.  I feel I should have beaten him.  I want a rematch!

I also have a Wish List too.  These are guys that if I beat them it would be a good notch in the belt.

Little Jimmy (113, 40s) – He hates it when I call him that. 2012 U.S. Open Men’s 35+ C Champ, 2014 Minnesota State Singles Men’s B Champ. It would be like beating Joe Pesci in Goodfellas. I have beaten him in casual play, but we have not played each other in a tournament.  Solid forehand pinch, loves to dive and complain.
Max (103, 50s) – A lefty too!  Does not make mistakes.  I buy my racquets from him.  Lost to him in the 2013 U.S. Open secondround 45+ C. 
Adam (125, 30s) – I was a little better in the beginning and then he just took off.  Helps to have an uncle as the racquetball coordinator!  …and be younger.  Lost to him in the 2013 U.S. Open C
Grant (76, 40s) – You need a bulldozer to get him out of the center.  Gotta utilize ceiling shots more. 
T.J. (77, 40s) – Solid player.  Doesn’t make many mistakes, capitalizes on yours.  I need to play well throughout the match to win.  I have lost to him twice.
Ron “Booger” (120, 50s) – An absolute character.  A complete master of the garbage shot.  I played him in my first tournament in 2012, (Men’s 50+ A) I don’t believe he ever hit a shot over 50 MPH!  I was taken apart like a watch and wondering how does a guy who looks like a walrus kick my ass like that.  However, injuries have taken their toll on him.  He is also ½ of the 2012 U.S Open Men’s C doubles champion team with Little Jimmy.

0 comments: