Thursday, October 7, 2010

Was I the best I really were?

Scoundrel has a good post. At what point in my past was I at me best or peak. What Scoundrel means is, when was the time your were at your best physical shape. Weight, Conditioning, Strength. Naturally it would be sometime in our youth. But really? For me, it was the spring of 84 through 85 and then if kinda of tapers off from there. Through the spring and summer of 84 I was working removing flooring and water skiing almost daily. I had a waist of 34 and weight 204. Sorry Scoundrel, no BF count for ya. Diet you say? No breakfast, all meals eating out and unlimited Dew! Have you ever been at a point where you were just plain tired of fast food and just went home and ate nothing? Me. I was probably down from about 220. The job and the water skiing went away in the fall but I picked up a job at UPS loading trucks which kept up the physical activity. I stayed at 215 for most of 85. But it was a great year because that is when I met my cutie! I started playing a lot more racquetball. Lots of tournaments. Fast forward to today. (and by today I mean the last few years) After about a 10-12 year layoff of racquetball I started playing (year 2007)(at 280!) again. about 3 days/week. I'd take my racquetball game today over what I had in the late 80s. Maybe that doesn't say much about my game ;). Last year, Scoundrel, Galan, Lard and myself tested ourselves in the 'Big Pull'. 1 rep maxes the Squat, Dead Lift and Bench Press. I went from 785lbs total to to 910lbs. I have never benched more in my life! Last November I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I have changed my diet dropped 20lbs and have a regular workout. So was I the best I ever was? Or am I better now?

1 comments:

Scoundrel said...

GREAT POST!!!
Obviously it’s a subjective question. But there are treasures in our past that can unlock those things hidden in our present. (a life observed and all that). Swami’s learned some of his lessons. Me, not so much? Swami’s better in his married life, me as a bachelor (hands down). My thoughts though, were to look at what and how you were doing. That gives me an idea for yet another post, so more to come.