Thursday, October 7, 2010

Where is your clutter?

I am a slob. My table is stacked with paper, my dishes are stacked in the sink, there’s laundry on the loveseat, books everywhere, my basement is full of books and stuff and other peoples stuff. It’s not pretty. That is one type of clutter.

There is another type of clutter: church groups, bible studies, Council, workout classes, scouts, choir, favorite TV programs, soccer games, bowling. It’s the madness around us, often self inflicted. I’m not saying it’s not important, there just seems to be so much that it’s overwhelming. This type of clutter is its own brand of insanity. This is where your schedule runs you rather than the other way around.

My Dad had a way of dealing with this. He made my brother and I choose one thing: “Sports or band?”, “Sports or scouts?”, “Sports or …?” He wanted to be a part of our activities, but there’s only so much time. I think there’s a lesson in there.

Obviously family is important. Does your schedule enhance your family in some way? Are relationships strengthened? Are the offspring educated and ready for independence, with a high sense of self-esteem to boot? Or are they left in the dust?

How’s your spirit, your energy, your anxiety level? Are you sleeping well, or is that suffering because there aren’t enough hours in the day?

This might be where some people would say goals, ideals and principles can be of some benefit. Chose what’s important; limit what’s important, take control, and focus. That’s not really my point. My point is: “Can you see the forest for the trees?” Can you see the sofa but for the laundry? Can you see your health but for the ten million activities? Are you really enriched? Are you strong? Are you energized?

I think that was part of the reason for my previous post:Your Best

I think health wise there is a purity that comes of youth. But we accumulate stuff, things, activities, (relationships?) that really boil down to clutter.

Maybe it’s time to clean house.

0 comments: