Saturday, April 26, 2008

Day 5

Friday was Day 5 since I got the ok from my orthopedist to begin weight bearing. The break was almost fully healed. On the x-ray, there was just a tiny piece on the very tip of the break on the very outside of the tibia that looked a little fragmented or "mushy" yet. The same piece but much bigger was why I got 4 more weeks from my Week 5 appointment...

The doctor was not concerned about with it being so far out. He told me I should be done with crutches in about 10 days and suggested taking it nice and easy, start with 25 lbs of pressure and increase by 25 lbs. every day or to to see if I have any pain or swelling. I remember telling Amy in the car right after the appointment, "Its really hard for me to see being fully off crutches in 10 days". That's how weak my leg was.

I followed the orthodepist appointment with a PT appointment. I filled in the PT with the news and she said that means you have no restrictions, we can now add a bunch of resistance training to what has basically been stretching and isolated muscle excersises. So she tells me to walk over to the exercise table, about 4 feet away. Well I tried to put some weight on my right leg and it wasn't happening, so I hopped over there, like I normally would. She said I was just being hesitant as I've trained myself to protect my leg for 9 weeks now.

Anyway, that night after work, I started taking steps in the kitchen holding onto the counters and such and eventually, was walking around the house "carrying" the crutches and not using them. Amy was surprised, and of course so was I. That was a pretty happy day.

Some of the biggest obstacles to overcome included the swelling in my lower leg and foot was still not completely gone. I still have some fluid from the injury. So started to walk on my foot was not the most comfortable, especially on a hard surface floor without shoes. Today, my foot swelling is mostly gone. By the end of the day though, I still have some lower leg swelling. Overnight, my body absorbs it, and throughout the day with walking and just having my leg down in a seating position, it slowly comes back. No swelling in my knee though or upper leg. Muscle weakness is also a big obstacle. I'm noticing from my workouts that I have no quad strength, but my calf and hamstring are returning much faster. Steps is where the quad really is needed, well and just walking in general. I can walk pretty good, but because of the quad weakness, its still walking with a limp, sort of herky jerky.

My PT appointments are twice per weak. She tests me to see where I'm at with ROM and strength. She assigns exercises for both and helps with the areas I need the most work. The workout routines I'm doing on my own, but I really focus on things the PT suggests. Biking is great for me, keeps things loose, gets me some cardio, strengthens my quad with the more tension I apply. Squats are also great and I need to add more calf raises as well. Its really strange having worked out 5 days this week and not touching anything above my waist. I used to focus probably 2/3 or the weight training I would do on upper body, so I feel like I'm neglecting it. But I really like the progress I'm making and I'm very determined to get back to where I was pre-injury, if not stronger. So with that, here's my workout from Day 5.

Workout:

20 reps on the quad machine at 12.5 lbs holding top for a 5 count.

20 reps of squats on the Smith machine with 20 lbs added

20 reps on the hamstring machine at 70 lbs.

20 reps on the calf raise with 45 lbs holding top and bottom for a 5 count.

10 reps of seated squats at 40 lbs. right leg only
10 reps of seated squats at 60 lbs. right leg only

Road bike for 30 minutes, 8.2 miles, 220 calories burned, 130 bpm., 90+ rpm, Level 7.

1 comments:

Scoundrel said...

Excellent Post! Keep up the good work and get back to your (former) strong self. My thoughts are with you comrade.