Monday, June 2, 2008

Slaying the Dragon.

I don’t know about slaying, but I definitely battled one of my dragons today – Kaitlyn’s school district. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX It’s very trying. Very draining.

The point is, though, that we all have our ‘Dragons.’ Galen with his rehab. Swami with his ‘motivational issues.’ Whatever. These demons are enough to bowl us under and they have many names: complacency, immediate gratification, fatigue, time constraints, denial, gluttony, ambivalence, physical limitations, the Green Bay Packers, and Lite Beer. I could go on and on.

What I’m trying to get at is this: We are each of us a Hero. That’s what the banner says anyway. And I like being a Hero, a Hero for Kaitlyn. (If you knew the whole story, you’d say, “Wow. She’s come a long way.” And she has. There’s still a slew of ‘Dragon’s yet to slay. But I’m going to keep at it. I’ve got time, a little meanness, and a whole lot of stubborn on my side.) But as Heroes, we’ve got to watch each other’s backs too. Prop each other up and cheer each other on. I’m talking about commitment and accountability brother. (The crowd roars.)

I correctly predicted that this blog was dead. Summer’s starting to show its ugly (and busy) mug, and I’d rather be grilling than typing at a computer. Well, it’s time to beat this horse some more. I’m not sure what’s going to help Swami motivate. (Maybe if he started posting some of those great articles he e-mails.) Galan is ready to start a new 5x5 program once he gets the doctors approval. Me? I’ve gained a ton and am close to my original weight. It’s a combination of lack of accountability, gluttony, and weight training without the added cardio work that keeps me in the dreaded ‘Fat Burn Zone.’

What d’ ya say boys? (One cricket chirps softly in the background.)

0 comments: