Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Little Perspective.

Today someone I care for deeply reached a milestone. My eight year old learned to jump. Not out of a plane, into a pit, or over a bar. Simply, off the ground. A mere two inch leap. Never before has she been able to get both feet off the ground at the same time.

This is something she is very proud of, and rightly so. It is a major accomplishment for someone with her disability. She has Down syndrome which entails so much more than cognitive disabilities. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a pity party. On the contrary, I am very proud of her. She has an incredible sense of humor. She is a great singer and can memorize a new song much faster than her old man. She is constantly amazing me with all sorts of little ‘miracles’.

But it makes me pause too. Here I am trying to master the 'Right of Passage' – dreaming of 200 snatches in 10 minutes and taming the ‘Beast’. I read about guys who are lifting 500lbs or more, bending bars of metal, or other super-human feats. But to me these tasks pale in comparison to KT’s achievement today and her self stated goal of learning to jump rope this summer.

It just makes me pause and say….Hmmm.

1 comments:

Swami said...

That is Great! I can't believe she is 8 years old! Where has the time gone?