Thursday, January 3, 2008

2008 – Bring it on!

I’ve actually been thinking a lot about resolutions this year. They’re not usually something I do, but this year I actually have several. (Swami – you asked for it, you got it)

1. Parent intentionally – I feel like I could do a better job of being Kt’s dad. I could be more contentious. Sometimes I rely on the electronic babysitter. Several of her toys are educational, however I could do a better job of aligning our activities with her IEP goals, focus more on functional skills, planning fun rather then just being spontaneous.

2. I endeavor to spend less time in front of the TV or Computer and more time in my vast library.

3. I have kept journal in the past on and off for short periods of time. I’ve never made a habit of it. I would like to journal on a regular basis. The purpose of this is for emotional release, creativity, and prayer.

4. Workout related: I would like to expand my KB workouts to include more exercises; expand my active recoveries to include other options like: karate forms, shadow boxing, heavy bag, ski machine, and jumping rope.

5. I need to de-clutter the house and paint at least one more room in 2008.

6. Cooking: I am going to cut down on the salt, sugar, and refined foods that I now consume; preplan my meals; and add one new recipe to my limited repertoire per month focusing on simple, fast, and fresh ingredients.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great goals for 2008 Scoundrel. I'm pulling for you to make them all.

Swami said...

Great resolutions. Thanks for sharing and setting the bar! To 2008!

You are a great Dad. Don't be so hard on yourself. Parenting is hard work. Here is a prayer I have found that I use to 'reset' myself.
(Caution: Catholic ;))

Parents' Prayer
Most loving Father, the example of parenthood, you have entrusted our children to us to bring them up for you and prepare then for everlasting life. Assist us with your grace, that we may fulfill this sacred duty with competency and love. Teach us what to give and what to withhold. Show us when to reprove, when to praise and when to be silent. Make us gentle and considerate, yet firm and watchful. Keep us from the weakness of indulgence and the excess of severity. Give us the courage to be disliked sometimes by our children when we must do necessary things which are displeasing in their eyes. Give us the imagination to enter their wold in order to understand and guide them. Grant us all the virtues we need to lead them by word and example in ways of wisdom a piety. One day, with them, may we enter into the joys of our true and lasting home with you in heaven. Amen.

Copyright, J. S. Paluch Company Inc.