Monday, January 14, 2008

No Sweat

Swami sent me a presentation on what to do if you’re alone and you have a heart attack – take a big breath, turn your head and cough.

Today I took a variety day after two hard days. I did two new kettlebell exercises.

The Push Press starts with cleaning and racking the bell then pressing it. Kind of like the jerk portion of the clean and jerk of yore…get under it and press, it’s a little bit of a cheat with a heavier bell and then squeeze out the negative. It’s prep work for pressing the next heavier weight.

The Renegade Rows start from a pushup position on two bells and then row one side. I had Bertha on the right, Medusa on the left and Svetlana in the middle and I just went from side to side lifting Svetlana on the side I was focusing on.


Workout (Variety Day):

Grinds

Push press
Medusa; 24kg
5/5 x 2

Renegade Rows
Svetlana; 16kg
5/5 x 3

Ballistics
None

Cycle for 40 (I used the HRM for the cycle portion only)

The cycle portion of the workout was for 41.13 minutes.

I burned 416 calories (60% fat).

My max heart rate was 133 bpm (76% of max), and the average was 119 bpm (68% of max). I spend 00 minutes in the target zone (147-162 bpm). No Sweat!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Scoundrel, we used to see heart rates from 170-180, what's going on? Has your endurance improved that much already, or are you not pushing as hard?

Scoundrel said...

Galan,

I think there are several ‘causes’ to this ‘effect.’ I don’t think I ever got over 160 on the bike alone. The exercise that affects me the most (currently) is the swing.

I used to take my pulse by hand, usually when I could hardly breathe. Now I use a heart rate monitor for greater accuracy. 176 bpm is the maximum heart rate that I am 100% certain I have ever reached. According to the ‘formula’ – 200 minus age, the max for me should be 175 bpm. I was skeptical that my previous readings were correct, hence the ‘road’ back to Heart Rate Monitor days.