Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Target Heart Rate


There is a lot of talk about "Target Heat Rate" when it comes to exercise. The general consensus is that for your workout to be effective you need to be at your THR for at least 20 minutes. To complicate matters, there are 3 target levels depending on what you are trying to achieve.
Fat Burn 60% of your maximum heart rate (age adjusted), Aerobic 70%-80%, Anaerobic 80%-90%.

Currently when I do "cardio" exercises, like the stationary bike, I am trying to hold my HR at the "fat-burn" rate (Which for me is between 105-121 BPM) for at least 30 minutes (my goal is 40 minutes each time) twice a week. But it is really boring! (I might have to try an MP3 player) The stationary bike is a Life Fitness 95ri. The really neat thing is, you can set the bike on "fat-burn" and set your HR and the bike will automatically adjust the resistance to keep you at your THR. I have only done this 4 or 5 times in the past 6 weeks so I don't have any results to report as of now. I need to be more consistent in my application of this exercise. I don't check my HR when doing my weight routine or playing racquetball. I am sure it is higher because it feels like my heart is going to pound out through my chest! I know Scoundrel and Galan will add their opinions on this subject.

2 comments:

Scoundrel said...

This is one of those things were you get a slightly different variation of the truth depending on your source. According to the Heart Rate Monitor Workbook the amount and type of fuel burned depends on which zone you’re in. The Aerobic zone is 70%-80% Max Heart Rate and burns 10 calories a minute (55% carbs; 40% fat; and 5% protein). The Red Line zone is 90%-100% Max Heart Rate and burns 17 calories a minute (90% carbs; 5% fat; and 5% protein). These are all approximations obviously. I also heard that you don’t really burn the brown fat until you hit the 30 minute mark, hence my desire to go 40 minutes while maintaining a heart rate primarily at the aerobic zone level.

I don’t know what the absolute truth is. I just remember burning a lot of my fraternity beer gut one summer by skipping rope for periods between 40 and 50 minutes.

Unknown said...

Well I've heard all sorts of "facts" and I don't really have a lot of experience to back any up. I typically can't get the machines to read my pulse while I'm excersing. Never have had much luck.

Ski, I'd say bump it up. Go for the aerobic zone. If you're not losing weight after all the activity you've increased in the last few months you're not working hard enough, or you're eating more.