Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Changing habits

Another component of my ‘program’ that I have yet to elaborate on is the diet portion. I’m still in the early chapters of New Atkin’s Diet Book. It’s very informative. I get that insulin is something to be concerned about. I’ve been eating more vegetables than before. My typical day....


Breakfast: I usually have a cup of oatmeal, unless I’m eating breakfast with Kt, in which case it’s Raisin Bran. I should probably go all Oat or a combination of oat and wheat meal. I’m just not that organized yet.

Lunch: I used to have two Dews, a sandwich and a bag of spicy Doritos. I’ve cut out the chips and Dew. Lately I’ve been having Lean Cuisine for lunch. The food is good. Not quite rabbit food. Mainly it’s portion control. Not a big fan of that, usually I eat at 11:00 and am starving by 2:00. I’ve been trying to eat lunch later and that’s somewhat helpful. None of the meals are beyond what I can make. I’m also a little concerned about the whole plastic poisoning thing. I’m a little impressed that I can actually drop a pound by the time I get home. The problem is that I’m starving before I start my workout. I intend to start making my own lunches at some point - again organizational skills need improvement here.

Dinner: I usually have two cups of veggies, some turkey or a chicken breast, and a starch – potato, sweet potato, rice etc. I’ve got to find a better replacement for the starch.

Then comes desert which can be anything and everything – ice cream with banana and chocolate, yogurt, pop corn, cookies, small snickers, fruit. Obviously a little more self discipline is called for.

Good points – I’ve cut down or cut out breads, Mountain Dew, and chips. I am developing an increase awareness of what needs to be changed and am slowly working my way there. No rabbit food.

Improvement points – I need a little more focus on my goals, preplanning, organizational skills, and restraint. (Ouch)

3 comments:

Swami said...

A few years back. I read the Atkin's book. I know you can't believe I read a book... There was a lot of interesting and good information. Even if you don't follow the diet, my perspective changed. Interesting about the insulin/cholesterol connection. I'm glad you're still eating ice cream. I was beginning to worry.

Scoundrel said...

Well I'm not dead.....yet. And I did give up Dew. I don't suppose Ice Cream could be a good fat? It's the sugar too. I wonder if I could find some healthy recipies in my old Cooking Light mags.

Unknown said...

Scoundrel, sounds like you're making great strides in the Diet department. Anyone that has success losing more than just a couple pounds cites they're revised and much stricter diet in addition to excersice. I know that would be the hardest part for me. Add some nuts to your diet for healthy fat if you're short, almonds are good for that and spice up many bland foods. Keep it up!