Monday, December 3, 2007

The Evil Wheel

I’ve been taking grief from Swami for not “easing” into the whole workout routine thing. The reality is I have not jumped into anything. I’ve been doing Kettlebell Swings and riding my bike on the rollers. Two things. Granted, I’ve done DARC, doubles and singles, but those are just variations on a theme. No squats. No snatches. No windmills. No clean and jerks. No get-ups. The reason for this is that I am ‘taking it easy’ (sounds like a song). I’m also trying to focus on technique. Thirdly, I don’t want to burn out by doing too much all at once. Burn out meaning not only overtraining, but sick of the KB’s.

Well today, I’ve inserted a third component into the workout:The Evil Wheel. That's what they actually call it on the KB forum. Since I’m already ‘experimenting’ with the KB’s, I thought “What the heck?” Got it cheap at Amazon. And yes I’m starting out slooooow.

Weight: 242

Workout: KB Swings. 16kg x 15. Single arm, alternating arms with each new set. 10 set, 5 each arm. 75/75. I started each set on the top of the minute. This resulted in about 30 seconds of rest between sets. By the second set with the right arm, fourth set overall I was at 140 bpm and sucking wind. I finished at 170 bpm and was fearful I might need the bucket.

Riding the Rollers for 40 minutes. My active recovery. Down to 130 bpm after 20 minutes.

Evil wheel. From a kneeling position. 1set x 8 reps. I had tried some last night and didn’t think I’d have a problem. Didn’t feel it at all today. On the first rep I could tell there was a little tightness from yesterday.

2 comments:

Swami said...

My dad had one of those. It caused a lump on his throat. After all sorts of tests, they found when he quit using the wheel, it went away.

Scoundrel said...

That must be the evil part.